Think about the last time you treated a minor burn or a skinned knee. If you’re like most people, you headed immediately to your home first aid kit. Gauze, antibiotic ointment, bandages – you’ve got it covered. Now, think about what you would do if you or a family member breaks or chips a tooth. Is your first aid kit fully stocked, or will you end up scrambling for the necessary supplies. Your Cerritos, CA emergency dentist Dr. Shawn Hofkes shares his list of must-have items for your dental first aid kit.
DIY Dental First Aid Kits
Depending on how often you find yourself using your first aid kit, you may want to stock up on items that can be used for general first aid and dental first aid. Examples include:
- Ibuprofen, a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory for treating pain, headaches, and fever
- Sterile gauze pads
- Rolls of cotton
Other items used specifically for treating dental emergencies include:
- Plastic tweezers, which can be used to pick up tooth fragments or a knocked-out tooth
- A small, airtight container to store the tooth until visiting your dentist
- Topical pain reliever, such as Kanka or Anbesol
- Dental cement, used to temporarily affix dental crowns or fillings that have loosened or fallen out
- Alternately, temporary filling material works in place of dental cement
- Disposable dental picks
- A small, handheld dental mirror to see hard-to-reach parts of your mouth
- Extra dental floss
- Tea bags, which have a soothing effect on cuts, bleeding after oral surgery, and to relieve pain caused by biting your lip, tongue, or cheek.
Other Useful Dental Products
If you or someone in your household wears dentures, you may need to add a few more items to your kit. Denture adhesive paste works in a pinch to secure your prosthetic; most denture pastes can also double as a temporary fix for loosened crowns or bridges. As someone who wears traditional metal braces, you should keep on hand a supply of orthodontic wax or beeswax to cover wires or brackets until you can see an orthodontist.
Who will you call in the event of a dental emergency? To learn more about our services, or to schedule an appointment with Dr. Shawk Hofkes, contact us here. We offer oral surgery, cosmetic dentistry, and oral pathology services for patients living in Cerritos, Long Beach, Lakewood, Buena Park, Fullerton, and the surrounding cities.