You might have a little bit of information floating around in your thoughts regarding your third molars, also known as wisdom teeth. However, when we’re getting down to the details of wisdom teeth removal, when these final teeth show up, and more, you may be the first to admit that you don’t actually know as much as you thought you did! Take a moment of your day to participate in a quick quiz on the topic and you’ll quickly soak up all of the essential info you need in order to protect your smile.
- True or False: When you bring your son or daughter in for care with us regarding wisdom teeth, if the teeth don’t show up by the age of 17 or 18, then that means your child simply does not have third molars.
- True or False: There’s never a reason to leave third molars where they are. No matter what, you should make sure to remove them as soon as possible.
- True or False: We can always tell just by glancing in your mouth whether you need to have wisdom teeth removal or not.
- False. The earliest third molars tend to begin showing up is around 17 years of age. However, if you don’t see them yet, it’s impossible to know on your own whether they’re in there. They may become impacted, so you need a dental visit for us to tell you whether your child has them or not.
- False. We need to use advanced imaging (X-rays) when teeth have not erupted to detect whether they are impacted. We also need to check erupted teeth. We can then make an educated decision regarding whether you require removal. Sometimes, perfectly healthy teeth will not require extractions.
- False. We need to perform a thorough dental exam to determine whether removal is a good choice for you.
Get Your Third Molar Questions Answered With Us
Coming in for a visit with us to discuss third molars and your oral health is the best way to determine what your smile needs. To schedule an appointment or consultation with Dr. Hofkes, contact us today by calling 562-584-4082. We proudly welcome patients of all ages from Cerritos, CA, and all surrounding communities, such as Lakewood, Long Beach, Buena Park, and more.