Did you know over ten million people in the United States may be experiencing trouble sleeping due to a serious disorder? What do you know about sleep apnea? Also known as OSA, the disorder can not only keep you from resting, but can also lead to a high risk of depression and even heart attack.
Sleep Apnea Quiz
- True or False: A variety of factors can cause the disorder.
- True or False: Without treatment you may develop a high risk of serious health complications.
- True or False: There are a number of symptoms to watch for.
- True or False: We can potentially treat the issue with a simple oral appliance.
- True. Obesity, stress, and other factors can lead to the onset of sleep apnea. The disorder occurs when a patient stops breathing while sleeping. The soft tissues in the throat and mouth collapse and block the airflow. The brain then registers the lack of oxygen and wakes the patient up. Most people have no memory of being woken up, even though this can happen hundreds of times nightly.
- True. Without treatment OSA can often lead to a risk of high blood pressure, stroke, heart attack, and depression.
- True. Possible warning signs of OSA may include snoring, waking up gasping for air or choking, trouble focusing during the day, and feeling tired during the day.
- True. The appliance looks very similar to a nightguard. Worn at night, the device helps move the jaw forward, Doing so keeps the airways open so the patient can continue breathing uninterrupted. If you have any questions about treating sleep apnea, then please contact our office today.
ABOUT YOUR CERRITOS, CA, ORAL SURGEON:
Dr. Shawn Hofkes and the staff at Cerritos Dental Surgery are highly qualified to address complex issues, including those that require oral surgery to correct. To schedule an appointment or consultation with Dr. Hofkes, contact us today by calling 562-584-4082. We proudly welcome patients of all ages from Cerritos, CA, and all surrounding communities, such as Lakewood, Long Beach, Buena Park, and more.