Things happen when you least expect them and illness or dental emergencies do not always happen when your doctor or dentist’s office is open. Sometimes they happen after hours or during the weekend. When you are in a lot of dental pain, you need attention. What should you do in such a case? Call your dentist’s office ASAP. There are also some steps you can take in the meantime. Dental emergency? Call us! Then take the steps that apply below.
What To Do While You Are Waiting
If you have a dental emergency that does not require a call to 911, then call your dentist ASAP. If the office is opened they will get you in as soon as possible that same day. However, if the office is closed you may have to wait for a return call. Here are some things you can do while you are waiting:
- If you are in pain, taking an over-the-counter pain reliever can buy you some time without pain, and relieve swelling.
- Place a cold compress on your face against the painful area.
- If a tooth was knocked out try to place it back into its socket, otherwise place it in milk, in-between your cheek and gum, or in salt-water to keep it viable.
- If you are experiencing bleeding, gently bite down on a soft clean fabric, tissue, cotton ball, or gauze to stay the bleeding.
- If you have a broken tooth or broken prosthesis, bring all the pieces to your appointment.
- Do not try to fix the problem yourself, you may only make it worse.
Many people mistakenly believe that if a tooth is knocked out it cannot be saved. Time is of the essence in such a case, so don’t wait, call your dentist immediately.