We see many patients that feel exhausted and sleep deprived, wondering, “Do I have sleep apnea?” There are several warning signs of OSA and we recommend seeking treatment immediately should you encounter them. You will not only sleep better, but also enjoy better overall health.
Cerritos, CA Sleep Apnea Quiz
- True or False: Snoring may be a symptom.
- True or False: Avoiding treatment can lead to serious health risks.
- True or False: You can take steps to ease discomfort.
- True or False: We can provide an alternative treatment to the CPAP machine.
- True. If you have chronic snoring then you may be experiencing the most common warning sign of a serious disorder. Sleep apnea happens when patients stop breathing during sleep, the result of soft tissue in the throat blocking airflow. The brain then wakes the patient up to start breathing. Despite happening hundreds of times a night, patients will have almost no memory of waking up.
- True. Over time, sleep apnea can lead to an increased risk of depression, high blood pressure, stroke, and heart attack. Be aware of the common warning signs and see a dental professional right away if you recognize the symptoms. You may experience snoring, daytime drowsiness, irritability, trouble concentrating during the day, and waking up at night choking or gasping for air.
- True. Some lifestyle changes you can make include removing TVs or computers from the bedroom. We also recommend keeping the room dark and cool. Maintaining a strict sleep schedule, waking and going to bed at the same times daily, can also help. Finally, we may recommend losing weight, sleeping on your side, or avoiding alcohol or caffeine before going to sleep.
- True. Instead of an uncomfortable CPAP machine we may prescribe an oral appliance. Similar in appearance to a nightguard, the device moves the jaw forward to allow easy breathing, preventing soft tissue collapse.
ABOUT YOUR CERRITOS, CA, ORAL SURGEON:
Dr. Shawn Hofkes and the staff at Cerritos Dental Surgery are highly qualified to address complex issues, including those that require oral surgery to correct. To schedule an appointment or consultation with Dr. Hofkes, contact us today by calling 562-584-4082. We proudly serve patients of all ages from Cerritos, Lakewood, Long Beach, Buena Park, and all surrounding communities.