The idea of having your tooth removed because it is essential to protect your smile may not be the factor causing you concern. If you are hesitating to schedule your tooth extraction because you are worried about aftercare, we encourage you to understand that the process is not very complicated. In fact, we will provide you with detailed instructions and an explanation before you even leave our practice. By taking things step by step, you will easily and comfortably heal, while you create an excellent foundation for a beautiful tooth replacement. If you have questions, we always invite you to ask during your visit. In the meantime, clarify your knowledge with the following quiz:
Extraction Aftercare Quiz: True or False?
- True or False: You will probably bleed for about three days after your procedure but you won’t need to do anything about it.
- True or False: After the tooth extraction site stops bleeding, you can eat anything you want.
- True or False: Once your empty space heals, we can replace your missing tooth with a beautiful prosthetic to complete your smile.
Dental Quiz Answer Key
- False. Minor bleeding may continue after your treatment but it will taper off after approximately 24 hours. To control the bleeding and to help it to stop, we will suggest that you bite down on gauze right after your treatment. After that, it should be extremely minimal and something you will not need to think too much about.
- False. Even after the bleeding stops, your body will still be creating a clot within the open space in your smile. This is much like scab formation, your body’s natural way of healing itself. The very last thing you want to do is dislodge this clot, so you will need to act with extreme caution. This means eating only soft foods and avoiding creating a sucking motion with your mouth for the duration we suggest.
- True. We may suggest a dental bridge to restore your smile, a fixed prosthetic that relies on healthy natural teeth for support. Or, we may suggest a dental implant, which requires only the support of your jawbone.
ABOUT YOUR CERRITOS ORAL SURGEON:
Dr. Shawn Hofkes and the staff at Cerritos Dental Surgery are highly qualified to address complex issues, including those that require oral surgery to correct. To schedule an appointment or consultation with Dr. Hofkes, contact us today by calling 562-584-4082. We proudly serve patients of all ages from Cerritos, Lakewood, Long Beach, Buena Park, and all surrounding communities.