Do you snore frequently or feel tired during the day? If so, then you may be one of the over ten million people who exhibit the warning signs of sleep apnea. This sleep disorder can lead to serious health complications. In order to sleep better and feel more rested, you may need treatment. What is sleep apnea? What does treatment involve?
Cerritos, CA Sleep Apnea Quiz
- True or False: Snoring may be a warning sign.
- True or False: Serious health complications can occur without treatment.
- True or False: Patients stop breathing for brief periods at night.
- True or False: We can correct the issue with an oral appliance.
- True. Common warning signs of sleep apnea include snoring, depression, irritability, an inability to focus at work/school, waking up gasping for air or choking, and daytime drowsiness. If any of these symptoms sound familiar, then we urge you to see a dental professional for a thorough diagnosis.
- True. Without treatment, this disorder can cause an increase in blood pressure. High blood pressure increases the risk of developing stroke and heart attack. In addition, the exhaustion caused by this sleep problem can make falling asleep on the job or behind the wheel much more likely, causing a higher risk of injury.
- True. With sleep apnea, the soft tissues in the throat and the rear of the mouth collapse during sleep, blocking airflow. The patient then stops breathing for a small interval. The brain registers the drop in oxygen levels and wakes the patient up to resume breathing.
- True. A non-surgical solution involves an oral appliance. Worn like a night guard during sleep, the device moves the jaw forward slightly to keep airways open.
ABOUT YOUR CERRITOS ORAL SURGEON:
Dr. Shawn Hofkes and the staff at Cerritos Dental Surgery are highly qualified to address complex issues, including those that require oral surgery to correct. To schedule an appointment or consultation with Dr. Hofkes, contact us today by calling 562-584-4082. We proudly serve patients of all ages from Cerritos, Lakewood, Long Beach, Buena Park, and all surrounding communities.