As dental professionals, our goal is to help you retain as many of your natural teeth as possible. We prefer to help you keep your smile healthy, comfortable, and functional. However, sometimes problems arise that damage your tooth too greatly to allow it to remain in place. Or, your teeth are standing in the way of your plans for a healthy, beautiful smile. When it comes to individual teeth, we may suggest tooth extractions to safeguard your smile. Wondering how much you actually know about this solution to improving your oral health? Learn more by testing your knowledge with the following quiz:
Tooth Extractions Quiz: True or False
- True or False: We only extract unhealthy teeth.
- True or False: We always suggest tooth extractions if you have an infected tooth.
- True or False: We may suggest an extraction as part of your orthodontic treatment.
Dental Quiz Answer Key
- False. Sometimes we need to remove teeth from your mouth to prepare it for other procedures or improvements. For instance, if you have a single tooth left on one of your arches and have selected dentures to restore your smile, we may remove that tooth to create a clean slate for your prosthetic.
- False. Addressing an infected tooth typically begins with root canal treatment and may also include a course of antibiotics. However, if these restorative treatments have failed or if your tooth is simply too infected to respond, we may suggest a tooth extraction. We do this because your tooth may abscess, the infection may spread to other areas of your mouth, or your tooth may die if ignored.
- True. You may require the removal of certain teeth as part of an orthodontic plan to align your smile. This is often necessary if you suffer from overcrowding, which will typically include braces to close the open spaces after the tooth extractions.
ABOUT YOUR CERRITOS ORAL SURGEON:
Dr. Shawn Hofkes and the staff at Cerritos Dental Surgery are highly qualified to address complex issues, including those that require oral surgery to correct. To schedule an appointment or consultation with Dr. Hofkes, contact us today by calling 562-584-4082. We proudly serve patients of all ages from Cerritos, Lakewood, Long Beach, Buena Park, and all surrounding communities.