Do you ever feel anxious or even a little scared of visiting the dentist or oral surgeon? Don’t worry, you’re not alone. To help patients with severe dental anxiety, our office offers the latest in sedation dentistry. With our sedative options, you can enjoy a calm and relaxing visit.
Sedation Dentistry Quiz
- True or False: Anxious patients may need sedation.
- True or False: We offer nitrous oxide.
- True or False: For deeper relation, you may need IV sedation.
- True or False: You should arrange for a ride home if you receive IV sedation.
- True. We typically recommend sedatives for patients who have anxiety about visiting an oral surgeon. Otherwise, they may avoid crucial treatments needed to protect the health and stability of their smile. In addition, this treatment works well for patients with overactive gag reflexes.
- True. One of the more common calming agents, nitrous oxide is also known as laughing gas. We administer the gas through a mask over the nose. The patient feels relaxed and the effects wear off as soon as the procedure is done.
- True. For patients who require more substantial calming, we provide IV sedation. Using an IV, a powerful sedative is administered and the patient’s vitals carefully monitored by an anesthesiologist. We will assess your medical history and current health before recommending this calming agent.
- True. The effects will take some time to wear off completely. You shouldn’t return to work, drive, or operate heavy machinery for at least 24 hours. We suggest arranging for a friend or family member to bring you home following the procedure. We also send detailed aftercare instructions with this person.
About Your Cerritos Oral Surgeon:
Shawn Hofkes, DDS, is highly qualified to address complex issues, including the placement of dental implants. He can also help improve the beauty of your smile with extractions and oral surgery. To schedule your appointment or consultation with Dr. Hofkes, contact us today by calling 562-584-4082. We proudly serve patients of all ages from Cerritos, Lakewood, Long Beach, Buena Park, and all surrounding communities.