Have you ever wondered if there’s some sort of secret formula to follow to keep you out of our chair for restorative dentistry? Perhaps you are curious about ways to avoid oral pathology – or the need for oral disease care – but you assume everyone’s mouth is simply something that evolves based on heredity. While your genes certainly play a role in your oral health, you can do a lot to protect your mouth by scheduling an oral examination. Wondering what’s so amazing about a checkup and how it may keep your smile healthy for many years to come? Learn more with the following quiz:
Oral Examination Quiz: True or False?
- True or False: An oral examination is good because it will allow us to discover a disease but it won’t help prevent the development of oral problems.
- True or False: You should only schedule an oral examination once symptoms occur.
- True or False: An exam is comfortable.
Dental Quiz Answer Key
- False. While we may certainly uncover something that has already begun, an exam is truly preventive. First, by monitoring your health over time, we can often prevent problems from occurring – this is particularly true when you also schedule consistent dental cleanings, so your mouth remains plaque-free. However, during a checkup we can often detect disease early, such as oral cancer, which allows us to provide treatment before cancer even presents itself.
- False. While oral pathology includes a list of symptoms to look for that point to a problem that has already developed, we encourage patients to schedule oral exams at least once every six months for early detection. However, if you do discover a change, such as bumps, splotches, discoloration, numbness, dry mouth, infection, or other abnormalities, contact us immediately.
- True. We offer a gentle approach and advanced technology, so we can take a close look at the inner workings of your mouth through comfortable methods.
ABOUT YOUR CERRITOS ORAL SURGEON:
Dr. Shawn Hofkes and the staff at Cerritos Dental Surgery are highly qualified to address complex issues, including those that require oral surgery to correct. To schedule an appointment or consultation with Dr. Hofkes, contact us today by calling 562-584-4082. We proudly serve patients of all ages from Cerritos, Lakewood, Long Beach, Buena Park, and all surrounding communities.