You may know a lot about implants if you have been researching ways to replace missing teeth. While you may have become overloaded with information about the parts of implants, how they are restored, and more, we encourage you to take a quick break. For the moment, focus on the many exceptional benefits of dental implants. By combining your knowledge about how they function with what you can expect from them long term, you will have a more comprehensive understanding of how this prosthetic may complete your smile and improve your life. Test your education (and learn a bit, too) with the following quiz:
Benefits of Dental Implants Quiz: True or False
- True or False: Implants may help your jawbone remain healthy, which is something that other dental prosthetics do not offer.
- True or False: Dental implants offer exceptional stability because the post fuses to your jawbone.
- True or False: We may use metal crowns to restore your implant for strength.
Quiz Answer Key
- True. When you have your natural teeth in place and chew or bite down, your roots stimulate your jawbone. Your body recognizes the sensation and a steady supply of nutrients is sent to your jawbone, so it remains strong and healthy to support the teeth that reside within it. When you lose your teeth, your jawbone does not receive the stimulation anymore and may deteriorate. Replacing your roots with dental implants restores the stimulation process, keeping your jawbone healthy.
- True. While you heal after implant placement, a process called osseointegration will occur. Over the course of several months, the titanium post will actually fuse to your jawbone, fully replacing your roots. This means that when you chew, speak, or use your teeth in any other way, you will enjoy similar stability that you once enjoyed with your natural teeth.
- False. We will use beautiful customized dental crowns to restore your implant, so you can enjoy extraordinary stability as well as a beautiful, lifelike tooth replacement. Common material includes ceramic – not metal.
ABOUT YOUR CERRITOS ORAL SURGEON:
Dr. Shawn Hofkes and the staff at Cerritos Dental Surgery are highly qualified to address complex issues, including those that require oral surgery to correct. To schedule an appointment or consultation with Dr. Hofkes, contact us today by calling 562-584-4082. We proudly serve patients of all ages from Cerritos, Lakewood, Long Beach, Buena Park, and all surrounding communities.