Nitrous Oxide in Cerritos CA
Nitrous oxide – more commonly referred to as “laughing gas” – is the mildest form of sedation dentistry offered at the office of Shawn Hofkes, DDS. This form of sedation will take the edge off of your nerves, whether you find yourself in the dentist’s chair for a general exam and cleaning or something more in-depth, like a filling. For patients who find a visit to the dental surgeon a little too anxiety-ridden to make regular appointments, nitrous oxide may offer the sense of calm needed to feel comfortable.
What Can I Expect?
Nitrous oxide is a colorless gas administered through inhalation. While you will not necessarily find yourself laughing, the resulting sensation is equated to a sense of euphoria. As we prepare you for your procedure, we will place a mask over your mouth and nose. You will continue to breathe normally as the laughing gas is released into the mask. Nitrous oxide works quickly to set you at ease.
We will monitor the amount of gas you receive throughout your visit to ensure your comfort. Once your visit is over, we will cease administering nitrous oxide. Unlike the effects of other sedatives, such as IV sedation, nitrous oxide begins wearing off immediately. You will be able to drive away from the dental surgeon’s office on your own.
What Are the Benefits of Nitrous Oxide?
The relaxed state laughing gas helps you achieve puts you in a state of mind that does not recognize pain. However, you are still conscious and aware of your surroundings. Consider the benefits of laughing gas when deciding which type of sedation dentistry is best for your unique needs:
- Nitrous oxide begins working and wears off immediately.
- Dr. Hofkes controls the amount of nitrous oxide administered for sedation custom-fit to each patient.
- Laughing gas relaxes a patient’s gag reflex.
- Nitrous oxide may be used in place of local anesthesia in certain situations. This is helpful for patients with a fear of needles because it may render the anesthetic unnecessary or will calm the patient enough to accept a needle-administered anesthetic without anxiety.
- It has few side effects and is an affordable option for regular visits.
What Are the Side Effects or Drawbacks?
Nitrous oxide is typically thought of as a safe drug, well-suited to most patients for its few side effects. However, Dr. Hofkes and our team will gladly discuss any hesitation you may have while explaining how nitrous oxide works. Though generally well-tolerated, possible side effects include:
- Mild lightheadedness that usually passes within one to two minutes.
- Nausea. This most often occurs when the dose is too large. At the offices of Dr. Hofkes, we are dedicated to providing you with individualized, conservative sedation for your complete comfort. Associated discomfort is reversible by stopping nitrous oxide and administering pure oxygen to the patient.
Schedule an Appointment!
At the offices of Shawn Hofkes, DDS, we are dedicated to providing you with the care that will help you achieve a healthy, brilliant smile. Please contact us today to schedule your dental appointment with Dr. Hofkes. Contact our Cerritos office located in Fountain Plaza, directly across from Los Cerritos Center. Shawn Hofkes, DDS, is happy to offer dental services to patients from Cerritos, Lakewood, Long Beach, Buena Park, Fullerton, and surrounding communities.