Oral Cancer Treatments in Cerritos CA
Whether it’s oral cancer or any other form of cancer, catching signs of a problem early is best. If you feel hesitant about scheduling an appointment, remember that at the office of Dr. Hofkes, we are here to support you through every step of your experience, from cleanings to treatment options. Dr. Hofkes strives to treat every patient as a member of his own family. In a relaxing environment, we will help you achieve the best oral health possible.
How Can I Recognize a Problem Early?
Treating oral cancer in its earliest stages yields the highest survival rate. Recognition is a two-part process. First, listen to your body and note any unusual or recurring problems. Second, schedule regular appointments with your dental surgeon, Dr. Hofkes, for cleanings and examinations. Mentioning abnormalities in your oral health will help us monitor changes over time. In addition, we will look for any areas of concern during your regular visits. Because some issues are silent and produce little to no pain or discomfort, consistent visits act as a back-up form of prevention.
What Symptoms Might Occur?
If you develop oral cancer, a growth is likely forming within your mouth or surrounding areas. Common symptoms that occur at the beginning of cancer growth include the following:
- Bleeding sores
- White patches beneath your tongue
- Sores that fail to heal
- Discolored patches – red or white – on the inside of your mouth
- A painful tongue, pain when chewing, or pain while swallowing
- Hoarseness or continued dry mouth
- A sensation that food is caught in your throat
- A lump in your mouth
- A consistently sore throat
- Loosening of teeth
What Are My Treatment Options?
Dr. Hofkes will perform necessary scans or biopsies to determine whether you have oral cancer. He will also move toward treatment options if you show pre-cancerous developments, to prevent oral cancer. Treating oral cancer is considered a multidisciplinary program. This means that two or more approaches to removing and stopping the cancer may be necessary. Treatments typically include:
- Surgery to remove the growth of any tumors and surrounding affected tissue.
- Reconstructive surgery to correct any areas that have been affected by tumor removal surgery.
- Chemotherapy, a chemical-based treatment that assists in killing cancer cells.
- Radiation therapy, a process using X-rays to kill cancer cells.
Schedule an Appointment!
At the offices of Shawn Hofkes, DDS, we are dedicated to providing you with the care that will help you achieve a healthy, brilliant smile. Please contact us today to schedule your dental appointment with Dr. Hofkes. Contact our Cerritos office located in Fountain Plaza, directly across from Los Cerritos Center. Shawn Hofkes, DDS, is happy to offer dental services to patients from Cerritos, Lakewood, Long Beach, Buena Park, Fullerton, and surrounding communities.